PLSA LA Conference: Almost a quarter of delegates believe LGPS is unsustainable

Nearly a quarter (23 per cent) of delegates at the PLSA Local Authority (LA) Conference believe that the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is unsustainable in its current form.

During a debate session at the conference, hosted by Debate Mate, the attendees were asked whether they supported the motion: This house believes that the LGPS is not sustainable.

The vast majority (77 per cent) of session attendees voted against the motion, while the remaining 23 per cent voted for it.

Earlier this week, Pensions Minister, Guy Opperman, told the Sunday Times that he believed public sector defined benefit (DB) schemes were not sustainable on a long-term basis and needed reform.

Following the initial vote, two teams of three debated the issue, with the team arguing ‘for the motion’ starting proceedings, describing the LGPS as “unaffordable” for both savers and pension funds, and inefficient.

The team ‘against’ the motion argued that many of the factors that were currently impacting the LGPS were relatively short term and rare, such as the cost-of-living crisis and potential upcoming recession.

The debate continued with the ‘for the motion’ side describing the scheme as complex and the regulatory framework not fit for purpose, while the ‘against’ side argued it was well-funded and cashflow positive.

Concluding the session, the audience were asked to voice their support for whichever viewpoint they sided with.

It appeared that the debate did not change many opinions, with the cheer for the ‘against’ side dwarfing the cheer for the ‘for’ side.

The opinions of the panellists arguing for or against the motion did not necessarily reflect their real views.

    Share Story:

Recent Stories


Making pension engagement enjoyable through technology
Laura Blows speaks to Nick Hall, business development director and Chartered Financial Planner at UK-based Wealth Wizards about the opportunities that technology provides for increasing people’s engagement with pensions and increasing their retirement wealth. Please click here for an edited write-up of the video

ESG & DC – creating the right tools
In the latest of our series of Pensions Age video interviews Francesca Fabrizi, Editor in Chief of Pensions Age is joined by Manuela Sperandeo, Head of Sustainable Indexing EMEA, BlackRock and Mark Guirey, Executive Director, Asset Owner and Consultant Coverage - MSCI to discuss some key trends of ESG investing among UK pension funds today. Please click here for an edited write-up of the video

Savings and finance at retirement
Laura Blows is joined by Claire Felgate, Head of Global Consultant Relations, UK, at BlackRock, to discuss savings and finance at retirement. Please click here for an edited write-up of the video

Global sustainable credit
Laura Blows speaks to Royal London Asset Management senior fund manager, Rachid Semaoune, about global sustainable credit
Global equities and transition investing
Pensions Age editor, Laura Blows speaks to Royal London Asset Management equity investment director, Jonathan Price, about transitioning to sustainable investments within global equities

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement