• Are you a fully qualified lawyer or barrister who is looking for a challenge?
• Would you like to use your knowledge, skills and experience to really make a difference to people’s lives?
If so, The Pensions Ombudsman is looking for new Lawyers and Senior Lawyers to enjoy a rewarding role as part of a growing and busy team, based in new offices in Canary Wharf. There is more than one vacancy for each role and although they are full-time positions we may consider candidates looking for a part-time position.
To provide a good work-life balance, The Pensions Ombudsman offers a flexible working model that gives staff flexibility around when they have to work their contractual hours and where, for example, working from home.
Plus a range of other benefits, which includes:
• Membership of a valuable career average earnings pension scheme.
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays + 2½ privilege days.
• Opportunities to develop your skills and career.
• An excellent working environment – office with excellent facilities.
Who we are
The Pensions Ombudsman is a free, independent organisation set up to help people that have any complaints/issues about workplace pensions. We are impartial and aim to constantly support one another to provide the best service we can for the people who need us most.
Your new role
You will be part of an expanding in-house Legal Team that acts as primary legal advisers to all staff including the Deputy Pensions Ombudsman and the Executive Board. You will have the opportunity to be involved in, and develop your skills in, a wide range of work including:
• Providing legal advice to case-workers to ensure decisions are consistent, based on sound legal analysis and accord with our statutory powers.
• Advising on the design and implementation on a range of policy matters, including internal policies and legislative change.
• Providing written content across a wide range of audiences and channels including reviewing and revising existing internal and external publications.
• Participating in internal and external working groups.
• Being involved in litigation, advising The Pensions Ombudsman on strategy and merits.
If you are applying for a Senior Lawyer role you will be expected to deal with the more complex cases and work more autonomously. You will also be expected to mentor the Lawyers.
As a guideline, you will be a qualified solicitor or barrister with at least two years’ post qualification - four years for a senior position - in one of the following areas: litigation; disputes resolution; regulatory law (preferably financial services regulation) or public law.
If you have knowledge of pensions, legal or otherwise, this would be very desirable, and we may consider you if you have less experience.
You will need first-class interpersonal, customer service and communication skills, both in writing and on the telephone and be able to interpret law and translate it across in a way that is practical and jargon free. You will also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and possess the ability to give presentations when necessary.
You can expect a competitive salary:
Senior Lawyers - £65,000, plus benefits.
Lawyers - £58,000, rising to £62,547 within a year, plus benefits.
Please apply as soon as possible, as we will be interviewing candidates on an ongoing basis.
To find out more about these roles and to access an application pack, please click on the Apply link now!